What should I do before I start my application?

Please download and carefully read the Guidelines for the Mundus MAPP Admissions Process which is the most helpful document to guide you through the admissions process.

I hear Hungary has introduced new legislation that impacts CEU. How would the amendments to Hungary’s Act CCIV of 2011 on national higher education affect CEU’s operations in Hungary?

The MA in Public Policy degree is recognized by the appropriate bodies in Hungary, the Netherlands, Spain, and the UK. In addition, the CEU tracks of the Mundus MAPP program fulfil the same requirements as CEU's Master of Arts degree in Public Policy, registered with the New York State Education Department in the US.
Due to recent legislative changes in Hungary, for information on CEU’s US accredited programs please refer to the Hungarian Legislation FAQ on the CEU website, updating applicants on CEU’s status.

Where do I need to send my application?

You need to submit an online application form.

Applicants may apply for one of the following mobility tracks in the online application form:

  • CEU-IBEI track - Global Public Policy specialization
  • CEU-York track - European Public Policy specialization
  • ISS-IBEI track - Political Economy and Development specialization
  • ISS-York track - Governance and Development specialization

This application facility will enable the online submission of the application form itself as well as that of all other relevant documentation, including academic records, CV-s and resumes, letters of recommendation, language test score reports and application essays (such as statements of purpose, etc.). Only those applicants accepted into the program will be requested to mail official hard copies of their academic records to CEU.

What are the deadlines for applications?

January 3, 2019 23:59 Central European Time (CET)
For applicants who wish to be considered for financial aid

April 8, 2019, 23:59 Central European Time (CET)
Final deadline for applicants who do not wish to be considered for financial aid. 

Your application must be complete, including a language test score report and references, in order to be evaluated for admission.

Applicants are advised not to submit their application last minute as the on-line system might be overloaded at the time of the application deadlines.

How will I communicate about my application?

The online application form requires applicants to have an email address. Applicants will need to check the email address they registered on the application portal regularly. The Mundus MAPP Consortium and other CEU office will use this email address to communicate with applicants. Results of the different application rounds will be published on the online application portal which applicants must also check regularly.

Please be aware that emails sent from the online application portal may be received as spam so make sure you set your spam settings accordingly and check your spam filter for messages. We also suggest that you inform your referees as well - who will also be receiving an email from the online application portal once it is time for them to submit their reference.

How do I apply for a scholarship?

All eligibible applicants applying by the January 3, 2019 deadline will be considered for a scholarship unless they do not wish to. There is no separate application form to fill in.

I come from a country where English is one of the official languages and all my studies were conducted in English. Am I also required to provide a proof of my English proficiency?

Mundus MAPP does not require a language certificate from applicants from the following countries, provided that they have received a Bachelor's or Master's degree taught exclusively in English:
Australia, Botswana, Canada, Gambia, Ghana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Liberia,
Malawi, Namibia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Philippines, Rwanda (English-speaking region), South Africa, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, UK, USA and Zambia

Applicants from countries other than these may request a waiver from the English language admissions requirement if they completed a Bachelor's or Master's degree taught exclusively in English in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, USA, the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

All other applicants will need to provide evidence of their English language skills with any one of the following test scores:

  • TOEFL (Paper version; taken on/after January 3, 2017) 580 or above;
  • TOEFL (Internet version; taken on/after January 3, 2017) 92 or above;
  • IELTS - Academic (taken on/after January 3, 2017) 6.5 or above;
  • Cambridge Proficiency Examination (taken on/after January 3, 2014) C or above;
  • Cambridge Advanced English Test (taken on/after January 3, 2014) B or above.

I have a bachelors degree in English Language and Literature (or some other, less relevant subject to Public Policy). Am I eligible to apply for the program?

For all tracks of the program, candidates need to have a Bachelors degree comprising at least three years of studies at a recognized university or institute of higher education. Applicants must have obtained at least class 2.2 (Lower Second), B or equivalent but preferably class 2.1 (Upper Second), B+ or equivalent. Normally applicants with a preliminary degree in any of the social sciences or equivalent are given preference. Candidates with a Bachelors degree in Natural Science or Engineering are not eligible to apply.

Further, for CEU tracks (CEU-York and CEU-IBEI) only Bachelors degrees in the Social Sciences and some disciplines in the Arts and Humanities are eligible. Specifically:

  • Applicants with Bachelors degrees in the following fields are eligible to apply: International Studies (incl. International Relations), Political Science, Sociology, Social Studies; Administration Management, International Administration; Applied Economics, Economic Analysis, Public Service.
  • Applicants with Bachelors degrees in the following fields are eligible to apply only if the candidate has at least half a year’s professional or research experience, in the following fields: any other field of the Social Sciences; Legal and Administration Sciences; Economics; National Defense and Military field and Security studies.
  • Other Bachelors degrees in the Arts and Humanities may be eligible on a case-by-case basis, if the Consortium’s admissions evaluators can verify from the submitted transcripts that the applicant has followed courses and/or has done research in the fields listed above.

The fields above are defined broadly, national equivalent degrees or specialized degrees of the above fields (e.g. political economy or international political economy, regional and environmental economics, social policy etc.) are eligible. If you have questions about the eligibility of your degree please contact the consortium.

For IBEI tracks (CEU-IBEI, ISS-IBEI), according to the regulations of the Spanish Ministry of Education, applicants need to have successfully completed an undergraduate degree from a fully accredited institution of higher education (within or outside the European Higher Education Area), provided that this undergraduate degree grants access to master's level studies in the country in which the undergraduate degree diploma was issued.

I have a bachelors degree in the Natural Sciences. Am I eligible to apply to Mundus MAPP?

Unfortunately candidates with a Bachelors degree in Natural Science or Engineering are not eligible to apply.

Is a proof of Spanish proficiency also required for applicants who whish to pursue the study track including IBEI?

No, it is not a requirement. Courses at IBEI will be available in English as well, but those students who speak Spanish too will have a wider variety of courses to choose from.

What is an 'official translation' of my degrees and transcripts?

An official English translation bears the stamp and signature of a sworn translator or an authorized official of the institution that has issued the original. It should contain the stamp and signature on each page or over a folded and fastened corner of the document, and include a statement of authenticity in English.

How should I submit my references?

Candidates need to register their referees in the relevant section of the online application form. Referees will receive an automated message containing a link to the referee section AFTER the candidate successfully submits the application form and pays the appliaction fee. The referees will have 7 days to complete the upload their recommendation.

Applicants are advised to remind their referees of the deadline for submitting recommendation letters and that the automated messages sent from the the online application portal may be received as spam and they should be found in the appropriate spam folder of mailboxes.

References sent via email, fax or regular postal mail are not acceptable.

What does an 'official' recommendation letter look like?

Applicants must have two confidential letters of recommendation submitted assessing their ability to conduct graduate-level work, and potential for a successful academic or professional career. The letters of recommendation must be written by faculty members or job supervisors – i.e. people most familiar with the applicant's academic and/or professional abilities and character – in English, and should be submitted electronically. It is strongly suggested that at least one of the references is from an academic.

May I submit an application in the final year of my undergraduate studies?

Yes. Applicants in the process of completing a degree program must submit an interim transcript and, in place of the diploma, a certificate of enrollment confirming their student status and, if possible, stating their expected date of graduation. Applicants having completed their degree program and having yet to receive their diploma must submit a certificate of graduation.
Admitted applicants will only be able to enroll in Mundus MAPP if they have successfully graduated August 15, 2019.

I have technical problems with my application form. What do I do?

You may contact the CEU IT Department via email at


This project has been funded with support from the European Commission. This communication reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.

Last updated: October 31, 2018 - 15:35